WPATH's Global Education Initiative (GEI)
WPATH offers our Global Education Initiative (GEI) Certified Training Courses: Best Practices in Transgender Medical and Mental Health Care first and foremost to increase access to knowledgable healthcare providers for the transgender community by training those providers globally in the context and priniciples of the WPATH Standards of Care, and their implementation into clinical practice. GEI Certified Training Courses are offered in an interdisciplinary, interactive, live format, providing ample opportunity for networking and building referral systems. These courses serve as the Core Curriculum for WPATH Members pursuing WPATH GEI SOC7 Certification, but are open to all healthcare professionals across all specialties, regardless of WPATH Membership Status.
What is WPATH Certification all about?
The WPATH Certification Program is an optional benefit to our members that signifies a provider is a WPATH member in good standing who has completed an additional rigorous educational curriculum specific to the most current Standards of Care. The certification indicates that the provider has a working understanding of the multidisciplinary care team and the translation of the Standards into practice. The extensive 50 -hour core competencies-based training program includes course work, mentorship and a minimum membership requirement before passing a certification exam. WPATH certification rewards those members who are committing to stay on top of both the current evidence and consensus in the field through continuing education.
GEI Certification FAQ
The Path to Certification
The first step in starting your path to certification, is becoming a WPATH member, and completing and uploading your Letter of Intent (link below).
In order to become certified an applicant must:
- Be a member of WPATH in good standing for 2 years at the time of final exam
- Be licensed and board certified (if applicable) in your specialty or the global equivalent
- Complete a minimum of 50 hours of credit as indicated below, in the WPATH Core Curriculum:
- Completion of the WPATH Foundations Course (15)
- Completion of the following WPATH Advanced Coursework:
- Completion of WPATH Advanced Mental Health or WPATH Advanced Medical Course (8)
- Completion of one of the WPATH Advanced Workshops (i.e., Child & Adolescent, Ethics, Planning & Documenting for Medical Transition). Offerings will vary (4)
- 10 hours of accredited elective coursework outside of the WPATH Core Curriculum (this can include both WPATH GEI certified courses, and other accredited professional courses in the field), showing a mapping back to the core competencies (Caregiver – Care Receiver Relationship, Content Knowledge, Interdisciplinary Practice, and Professional Responsibility)
- 10 hours of mentorship with a WPATH GEI SOC7 Certified Mentor*. Mentors are WPATH GEI SOC7 Certified Members, please see the MENTOR DIRECTORY below for current mentors
- 5 additional hours listening to voices of the transgender and gender non-binary communities, examples include: attend town halls at WPATH conferences, attend community-focused sessions at WPATH conferences, attend community-led conferences/workshops, attend local community events, listen to/watch community-led and community-focused online content (online listening and virtual conferences can fulfill this requirement)
- Provide evidence of knowledge, skill, and accomplishments in transgender health i.e. CV, publications, case studies, experience, learning initiatives
- Agree to adhere to the WPATH SOC 7 or latest published revision
- Agree to comply with the WPATH approved transgender and gender non-binary health related continuing (CE) requirements of 20 hours every two-years to maintain certification
- Successfully pass the certification exam, which is given online, free of charge, in an open-book, multiple choice format.
*Please Note: You MUST be a WPATH Member in order to begin your WPATH GEI SOC7 Mentoring hours, with a WPATH GEI SOC7 Certfied Mentor, please see link below for current mentors in the MENTOR DIRECTORY, if you don't see a name listed, they are not certified WPATH mentors, and your mentoring hours WILL NOT count towards your certification.
If you have any questions about these requirements, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE THE GEI LETTER OF INTENT
WPATH GEI Certified Mentorship
WPATH Members on the Path to Certification must complete 10 hours of mentorship with a WPATH GEI SOC7 Certified Mentor. Please see the links below for more information.
Mental Health Professionals:
Please click the link below to view the information for our WPATH GEI SOC7 Certified Mental Health Mentors.
WPATH plans to launch our first pilot Medical Mentorship Groups in early 2021. Please check back here for more information early in the new year.
Advanced Path to Certification
We are happy to recognize our members who have contributed to both the field as a whole and to WPATH specifically through the implementation of an accelerated path to certification. Qualified members in good standing may opt out of course requirements by choosing to demonstrate proficiency through documentation and completion of a certification exam as outlined below.
To be eligible for the Advanced Path to Certification, an applicant must:
Meet all the criteria for certification with the exception of attending courses for which they can demonstrate proficiency.
Be licensed and board certified (if applicable) in your specialty or the global equivalent.
Agree to adhere to the WPATH SOC 7 or latest published revision.
Agree to comply with the WPATH approved related continuing (CE) requirements of 20 hours every two-years to maintain certification.
Successfully pass the certification exam.
Must have ten years’ experience in their field of expertise.
Show experience in each of the relevant certification domains. This can be done through the submission of a CV, and a supplemental information form describing training and experience, workshops attended, supervision experience, participation in consultation groups, etc.
Be a Full Member of WPATH in good standing for a minimum of five years.
CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE THE ADVANCED PATH APPLICATION
This link will re-direct you to a Google Form application.
A Vision of Core Competencies